Thursday, August 22, 2013

Interconnected

I have an uncanny and sometimes useless ability to see connections between almost everything.

It's why I am a proponent of multi-disciplinary collaboration. It's why I am at once fascinated  by brain-based teaching and at the same time baffled by the notion that it is new. How could it ever have been otherwise?  How could education possibly be disconnected from cognition and neuroscience?

Recently I was interviewed for a donor profile.  The profile talks about why I support GreenLaw. In addition to questions that circled around the reasons I invest time and money in Greenlaw's work, I was also asked why I always discuss the environment in the context of health and education. The truth is, it never occurs to me to think about it in any other way. We know that our environment substantially impacts our health; sickness impacts our ability to learn, and we cannot succeed, whatever that means, if we do not learn. 

So today I am thinking about interconnectedness and trying to understand whether there is value in considering issues in a disconnected way. Some topics fueling my consideration are learning for the sake of learningart for art's sakeSilent Springselfless philanthropy.

No comments:

Post a Comment